There's no shortage of advice out there about removing a mold infestation, but is it a wise idea for you to tackle it on your own? Not only do you put your health at risk by being in close proximity to mold without protective gear, but you can easily spread the mold infestation by accidentally releasing numerous mold spores into the air. If you have mold in your home, here's why you should call the professionals.
You Put Your Health at Risk by Inhaling Mold Spores
There's a reason why mold remediation professionals wear full protective gear (including a respirator) when they clean and control mold infestations. Mold inhalation can cause coughing, sneezing, headaches, and chest pain. Severe cases of mold inhalation can cause vomiting. Black mold is especially dangerous. You shouldn't take the health risks of mold lightly, as mold inhalation can make you fall very ill.
You Can't Effectively Kill Mold With Household Cleaning Products
Mold clusters send deep roots into any porous surface. That's the reason why people are advised not to eat moldy bread, even if they cut off all the visible mold – the large mold cluster that was cut off was busily sending out numerous roots all throughout the bread, and these roots are nearly impossible to see with the naked eye.
When you attempt to clean up a mold infestation on your own, you will only be able to kill the surface layer. On a nonporous surface, such as shower tile, this is acceptable – mold is unable to send any roots into the tile, so you'll destroy the entire infestation. However, mold on drywall and wood has already rooted itself into the material. The mold will soon return after you've killed the surface layer.
Worse, you're indirectly aiding the mold by attempting to remove it with the products that homeowners have access to. Bleach is often recommended as a mold-killing agent. Bleach will easily kill mold on the surface layer, but the chlorine in the bleach will evaporate before it manages to kill the roots. Bleach is nothing but sodium hypochlorite diluted with water. Once all the chlorine has evaporated, it's just water – which, unfortunately, is mold's favorite growing medium. When you attempt to kill mold with bleach, you inadvertently provide a very hospitable home for the roots to regenerate into.
You'll Spread Mold Spores and Make the Problem Worse
When you agitate mold by wiping or scrubbing a moldy surface, you release a large number of mold spores into the air. The spores will land on any nearby surfaces, including your clothes and your shoes. They may also find their way into your air ducts once they become airborne. Cleaning mold without proper containment can easily spread the spores all throughout your home, where they will start growing in any place that's damp enough to support them. You can end up making your mold infestation worse by attempting to remove it yourself.
If you can't clean a mold infestation by yourself, how do you remove mold from your home? You need to call a mold remediation service to inspect your home. These professionals are trained to find the full extent of your mold infestation, contain the affected areas, and then meticulously clean them using high-powered biocides that penetrate porous surfaces and eradicate mold roots. If you have mold in your home, don't risk your health and don't risk spreading the infestation by attempting to clean it yourself – call the professionals instead.
For more information, contact a company like Colfax Corporation.